At Hindalco, sustainability takes prime position. A Sustainability Board, comprising the top leadership team at Hindalco, under the leadership of the Managing Director oversees the company’s sustainability efforts.
Hindalco has a well-rounded approach to sustainability – encompassing a variety of areas like sustainable mining practices, energy conservation, recycling, environment-friendly disposal of industrial wastes, safety practices, socio-economic development of the communities around the plant and empowerment of employees. Hindalco’s approach is to set clear policy and institutional framework, systematically monitor the performance, encourage continuous improvements and innovative practices, and deepen the dialogue with all stakeholders.
At Hindalco, sustainability considerations are paramount. During the life cycle of our mines, we interact with as many as 5-7 generations of local community. Our mining practices, regeneration activities and community engagement practices are geared towards minimising the environmental impact and maximising the socio-economic impact during the development of mines.
Attesting our environmental credentials are the numerous awards our units have won for energy conservation, environment and safety. To be sure, good environment management makes sound business sense.
Our proactive initiatives include:
- Choosing the right technology for our greenfield projects to ensure energy efficiency.
- Enhancing material efficiency, process/equipment productivity backed by pollution prevention practices and adoption of cleaner technologies for brownfield projects.
- Waste Management System for systematic collection of scrap and safe storage/disposal and re-use of wastes.
- Continuous efforts to conserve resources, minimise and recycle wastes.
- Controlling emissions through dry scrubbing and electrostatic precipitators and discharge through appropriate effluent treatment plants.
- Rehabilitation through afforestation of mined areas and rehabilitation of waste disposal sites by greening, e.g. fly ash mound and abandoned red mud dump.
- Promoting industrial recycling of waste like spent pot lining, fly ash, spent caustic, etc.